Homework can be very stressful for some students. Feeling overwhelmed by your tough study flow? You’re not alone. The survey by Student Life in America has shown that teens spend a third of their study time feeling worried, stressed, or stuck. If they have a hard time with the studies, homework organically adds to their stress. Sometimes students hate homework because they have way too much of it or they wait until the last minute to do it. Some students don’t handle stress very well either so that makes it twice as bad. If you are one of those students that have a hard time handling stress and your homework, here are a few things you can do to help:
- Do your homework early in the day right after it was assigned. If the instructor only gives you one day to do your homework, make sure you do it early in the afternoon before it gets too late in the day. You will feel much better once your homework is done and you can relax. If you don’t do your homework, it will be hanging over your head and you will be miserable until it is done which leads to more stress.
- Don’t do your homework if you are tired. You will not get anything out of your homework if you are tired because you won’t comprehend it as well. This is another reason to do your homework earlier in the day.
- If you are having problems, seek help immediately. Don’t wait and think it will get better without help. Find the proper assistance before things get worse. Many times when you have a small problem you think that it will just go away but what often happens is that problem compounds. Many times concepts are built on other concepts so if you don’t understand one concept it will be difficult to understand the more difficult ones.
- Try not to do everything at one time. If you have a lot of homework, break it up into smaller and more manageable pieces, and then do it that way. Do one piece, take a break, then go back and do some more.
- Don’t procrastinate. If you have a few days to do an assignment, do it the first day or break it into small pieces and do a bit every day. If you try tackling assignments this way, you won’t be thinking about them a lot and it won’t be hanging over your head. Once you get it done, you won’t believe how good you feel and you can relax knowing you have it done.
If you want to stay on top of your homework, do the assignments when they are assigned, and get proper help if you need it, you will have much less stress and you will be able to get profit out of your homework. And always remember that practice makes perfect: the more homework you do, the better at it you become!